It’s likely that you have at least a couple of brushes in your makeup bag, but did you know that it’s highly important that you clean them regularly? When you use your brushes, bits of dirt, oil, makeup and even bacteria can get trapped in the bristles. Using your brushes on a daily basis but skipping cleaning can lead to clogged pores and pesky breakouts, and not to mention cause expensive quality brushes to deteriorate and not perform at their best. So learning how to properly clean them is one of the best ways to protect your investment and more importantly, your skin!
But do not fear, luckily cleaning your makeup brushes is quick, easy and cheap! Once a week, you should aim to give your brushes a well-deserved deep clean. (Be aware that your brushes will need a few hours to dry after a deep clean, so make sure you apply your makeup for the day first.)
Here’s the best way to deep clean your makeup brushes…
You will need:
- Your sink
- A shallow bowl
- Gentle clarifying shampoo or baby shampoo
- A lint free cloth
- Firstly, run your brushes under lukewarm water, rinsing out all of the residual makeup. If possible, try to avoid the part of the brush where the handle meets the head, as this can loosen the glue over time. Instead, just focus on the bristles.
- Place lukewarm water and a squirt of shampoo in a shallow bowl, and gently swirl your brush tip in the water. If you need to, you can also use the palm of your hand and swirl the brush within it to work up a rich lather.
- Rinse the brush tip under running water once again. Follow steps two and three again until the water runs clear from the brush.
- Wipe your brush clean using a cloth, reshaping the bristles as you go.
- Lay your brushes flat on a cloth to dry.
Et voila! You now have squeaky clean makeup brushes and believe you me, your skin will thank you for it. While there are specially formulated brush shampoos on the market, I find that a gentle clarifying or baby shampoo will do the trick just fine.