Summer is here at last, so we must remember to slather on the sunscreen. The importance of SPF is no joke. We should wear sunscreen every day – even in winter. As the days get hotter it is best to increase the amount we put on and remember to reapply regularly.
Wherever you are going and you can see light, you need to wear sunscreen. While sunshine has many benefits, it should not be absorbed without protection.
Importance of SPF
Sun Protection Factor – or SPF – is a measure of how well sunscreen protects us from the sun’s harmful Ultraviolet rays. You should always aim to use a minimum of Factor 30, especially on your face. It works by absorbing and reflecting both UVA and UVB rays.
If you’re going to be in the water – or sweating – consider using a water-resistant sun cream.
Benefits of Sun Protection
- Sunscreen protects your skin and reduces your risk of developing skin cancer and skin pre-cancers
- It helps prevent sunburn. If skin with no sunscreen on would burn in 1 minute, then a sunscreen rated SPF30 means that it would take 30 minutes for the same skin to burn
- Sunscreen reduces the signs of visible premature ageing. It also helps to maintain an even skin tone. Don’t be shy and apply generously
- Essential proteins in the skin like keratin are protected when sunscreen is applied
- Sunscreen limits the appearance of sunspots
- UV rays can damage the skin’s blood vessels causing them to thin. They will then be more visible.
Wear it Daily
Outdoor activities dominate the summer months. So never forget the importance of SPF in your daily skincare routine. UV rays can penetrate clouds and even windows, so make it part of your everyday routine. That way you won’t get caught out with a red face!