New Year, new beauty routine – top ten resolutions for the most gorgeous 2012
Oh dear – we’re on the fourth day after New Year and already many of us are beginning to weaken our resolve on those (potentially hasty and made after a couple of glasses of champers) New Year resolutions. Be kind to yourself this year and treat your face and body to some ‘easy to achieve’ new year beauty tips courtesy of SkinBase...
Clean your makeup brushes weekly, since build-up can lead to breakouts or infections. Yes, we wonder who does this too…then we think about it, it’s probably those people with the lovely blemish free skin (sickening but true and it does only take a few minutes!)
Floss. Daily. Did you know that brushing alone only cleans about 65 percent of your teeth? That's right, flossing daily will clean the other 35 percent your toothbrush misses – get on it.
Change your moisturizer to one that has an SPF. Already use one? Use a heavier moisturizer in the winter to protect your skin – make sure you use it on your neck, chest and hands too!
Throw out your makeup sponge after every use (or at least once a week). You can buy a 32-pack of makeup sponges for less than a Starbucks coffee (really, sometimes you have to use a simple comparison to point out how cheap it is!)
As good as they feel, try not to take really steamy showers. Super-hot water tends to dry out your skin – in fact, if you’re feeling brave, try blasting yourself with cold water at the end of your shower – this will awaken the skin and help you to look gorgeous (if a little cold for a short while!)
Give yourself a monthly breast exam in the shower. It shouldn’t be a resolution and It’s not really a request, just do it – you’ll thank us in the long run…
Get the perfect shade of foundation by using your jawline to test. This area is the most evenly toned part of your face and won't leave you looking like you have two distinct skin colours – the back of your hand just doesn’t cut it! If you’re really not sure just pop to the counter and ask one of the make up assistants to help you – that’s what they’re there for!
Commit to a skin-care routine. Try a new regime for at least two weeks before changing products as this is the amount of time it usually takes for a formula's results to show. Get some longer-term treatments in the diary too! That means booking in for facials and maybe even the odd massage – try to think of it as an investment in your skin (we promise that more people do it than you think – they just don’t necessarily tell you how much time they put into looking good!)
Toss your pillowcases in the wash every week, especially in the summer. They house sweat and oils from your face and hair, which can cause breakouts – if you’re feeling flush, silk pillowcases are the best for making sure your pillows don’t absorb all the night creams you put on your face before bed…
Give yourself a time out now and then. With all the hustle and bustle of everyday life, we need to relax and bring our stress levels down–or else we end up wearing it. Try Yoga, going for a run, reading a great book or watching a new movie you’ve been wanting to see or ages. Work hard, play hard.
Got anymore beauty resolutions for us? Comment below (we love to chat beauty!)
Start your New Years beauty resolution now by booking a SkinBase facial.